Wednesday, June 3, 2015

On Kindles and E-Books

As an avid reader, getting my first Kindle as a gift was the best thing that ever happened to me.  While there are still some books that I must own as physical copies (anything by Neal Stephenson, Blizzard related stuff, Chuck Palahniuk, and things that will complete already started collections that I feel I must finish), I really do like the fact that there are a seemingly endless amount of books for free to dirt cheap to pick up on the Amazon store.  From a lot of the classics that I used to have but went missing to stuff that I just plain missed are up for free.  While familiar with his works for a long time, I'll admit that until earlier this year, I've never read any of H.P. Lovecraft.  I was able to fix this

On the other side of fame, there are a ton of undiscovered genre writers that are waiting to be read, and often will have their first book or two up for free, hoping that you'll like it enough to pick up the follow ups for a few bucks here and there.  I've read probably close to 300 or so of these indie published e-books in the last two years, and a good chunk of them were follow ups to fantasy or sci-fi novels that I felt were easily worth a couple of dollars.  Libraries around also offer free e-books with a library card now too.  This is only a good thing.  Guys like Alex Ziebart (pulpy fantasy), Mark Tufo (smart ass pulpy horror), Matt Rossi (amazingly detailed, well thought out speculative history), Christian Cantrell (wrote a series of short, tight, fast paced current to futuristic 'where we go as humans' sort of sci-fi), and so many more are fantastic writers and really need more exposure.  Maybe I'll do a couple of posts reviewing Kindle books.

1 comment:

  1. Dating a Ukrainian woman not simple. But I like my girlfriend very much. She is so sweet and her smile makes me to forget everything. I recommend you to be decisive and romantic with these woman, they want be treat like ladies. Do that, she will be yours. dating tips

    ReplyDelete